Sunday 20 November 2011

11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month

The 11th November is always a day I well rember my grandfather who served during the 1st World War. He was one of 6 sons who served in the army. He was fortunate to survive along with 4 of his siblings. His youngest sibling Thomas John Roseburgh was killed on the 16th January 1918. He and hundreds of other Gala men are remembered on the Galashiels war memorial. In this year of 2011 a special ceremony that will not happen again in my life time took place on the 11th November 2011. I remember my grandfather telling me the phenomenon of the angels wings. Behind the statue of the Border Reiver a sculptured  angel stands over the plaque that records those who made the ultimate sacrifice. Modern day street lighting  was switched off to allow those assembled to view the "angel wings". Local photographer Bill Baird has kindly allowed me to include his photograph for others to enjoy. Please see below. Thank you Bill.    

No comments:

Post a Comment